|Title||Mrs. Thompson's Hemlock tree, Princeton, N.J.|
|Photographer||Mead & Beard, Photographers|
|Date||late 19th century|
|Year Range from||1850|
|Year Range to||1900|
Stereograph of the hemlock tree in front of Thomson Hall, also known as Belgrade, 50 Stockton Street. The house was built in 1825 by Charles Steadman.
Thomson Hall was commissioned by Richard "The Duke" Stockton, son of the signer of the Declaration of Independence, for his daughter Annis Stockton and her new husband John Renshaw Thomson. John Renshaw Thomson was a U.S. Senator and Secretary of the Delaware and Raritan Canal Company. After Annis Stockton's death, Thomson remarried. His widow, Josephine Thomson Swann, continued to live in Thomson Hall after Thomson's death. In 1906, she left the estate to the town of Princeton.
From 1906 through 1936, Thomson Hall was used as a community center, while the stables of the estate housed Borough Hall. From 1936 through 1967, the municipal offices occupied Thomson Hall.
|Print size||3 1/2" x 7"|
Swann, Josephine Thomson
Thomson, John Renshaw
Stockton, Richard "The Duke"
Label mounted on back of card:
Mead & Beard
Waverly; Tioga Co., N.Y.
Susquehanna and Chemung Valleys; Watkins, Ha-
vana, and Cayuta Glens; Cayuga and Seneca
Lake Scenery; Niagara Falls--Summer
and Winter; Yosemite Valley: Pa-
cific Coast, and miscellane-
ous Views in all parts
of the world.
Stereoscopes and Views in great variety, at whole-
sale or retail, at reasonable prices.
Albums, Frames, Passepartouts, Lockets, &c.
Photographs finished in the latest styles and finish.
[handwritten in pen:] No. 37
Title of this view [handwritten in pen:] Mrs. Thompson's Hemlock tree. Princeton N.J.
In pencil on top of label: