Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Collection Photo Archives
Object ID A_9_c_007
Object Name Print, Photographic
Title [The Barracks, 1912]
Studio Rose Studio
Date 1912
Year Range from 1912.0
Year Range to 1912.0
Description The Barracks, 32 Edgehill Street, in 1912. Built near the end of the 17th century. The earliest owners of the land included Daniel Brinson, whose deed is dated from 1685, and Richard Stockton, who purchased the land in 1696. Alexander Hamilton occupied this house, then owned by Thomas Laurens, when the Continental Congress met in Princeton in 1783. This photograph shows the house in 1912, after an addition and garden wall were added by J. Duncan Spaeth, a preceptor and professor of English at Princeton University.
Place Princeton, NJ
Print size 5" x 7"
Subjects Buildings
Houses
Residences
Homes
Barracks
Stone buildings
Trees
Streets
Fences
Stone walls
People Paxton, William M.
Spaeth, J. Duncan
Hamilton, Alexander
Brinson, Daniel
Stockton, Richard
Search Terms The Barracks
Stockton Family
Edgehill Street
Notes On front of card, LL corner:
Number: 287
Size 4 1/4 x 6 1/2
Category: (A-6, C-1) [crossed out] A9-c

On front of card, LR corner:
Description: The Barracks, 32 Edgehill St.
taken in 1912 after addition by J. Duncan Spaeth

On back of card:
A-9-c. Buildings Residential - The Barracks
GON #287 4 1/4 x 6 1/2
R925
THe Barraks, photo taken in 1912, after the addition was added by J. Duncan Spaeth
Provenance Part of the Rose Studio Collection.