|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Title||[Westland, the Grover Cleveland House, in winter]|
The Grover Cleveland House in winter, also called Westland or Westlands, 15 Hodge Road (formerly 58 Bayard Lane). Built in 1854 by Commodore Robert F. Stockton.
Grover Cleveland and his wife settled in Princeton after his second presidential term ended in 1897. The Clevelands purchased a Georgian Revival house on Hodge Road, which they called Westland after Andrew Fleming West, first dean of the Graduate College. In turn, the main tower of the Graduate College was named after Cleveland. The Cleveland home became a gathering place for undergraduates, especially after athletic or debating triumphs, and the students paraded there every March 18 to celebrate Grover Cleveland's birthday.
|Print size||3 1/2" x 4 1/2"|
Stockton, Robert F.
Grover Cleveland House
In pencil on back of photo:
15 Hodge Rd.