|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Title||[Lions at Nassau Hall, before 1911]|
|Year Range from||1879.0|
|Year Range to||1911.0|
The entrance to Nassau Hall in the period between 1879 and 1911. In 1879, the graduating class gave the lion statues shown here to the University. By 1911, the statues were worn and the class of 1879 replaced them with statues of tigers.
Nassau Hall was built in 1756 by Robert Smith, a carpenter and architect. Although the trustees of the college voted to name the building after Jonathan Belcher, the provincial governor, Belcher declined and proposed the name Nassau Hall, after King William III of the House of Nassau.
During the Revolutionary War, both British and American troops occupied the building. From July through October 1783, it was the site of the Continental Congress. It burned twice, in 1802 and 1855. Benjamin Henry Latrobe oversaw the reconstruction after the 1802 fire, and John Notman after the 1855 fire.
|Print size||4" x 5"|
Universities & colleges
Latrobe, Benjamin Henry
In pen on back of photo:
Lions on steps of Nassau Hall
(moved to steps of 179 Hall)
m-1 - Nassau II [added in pencil]
|Provenance||M_1_306 and M_1_308 are other prints of the same image.|