|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
Staircase, Morven, 55 Stockton Street.
Built c. 1750-1800, Morven was the home of Richard Stockton III, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, and his wife Annis Boudinot Stockton, a published poet. Morven was one of Princeton's social hubs during the 18th century. The original dwelling is believed to date from the 1750s, although little of this structure remains. Much of the present building was constructed in the 1790s, with major alterations made in the 1850s by Commodore Robert F. Stockton, a United States Senator and a grandson of the original owner. In 1954 the owners, Governor and Mrs. Walter Edge, donated Morven to the State, stipulating that it be used either as a Governor's mansion or a museum. Governors Meyner, Hughes, Cahill, and Byrne lived in Morven until 1982, when Drumthwacket became the official governor's mansion.
|Print size||3 1/2" x 4 1/2"|
Clocks & watches
Stockton, Annis Boudinot
Stockton, Robert F.
In pencil on back:
Richard Stockton homestead
Historical Society of Princeton