Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Collection Photo Archives
Object ID M_1_377
Object Name Print, Photographic
Title [Palmer Laboratory Construction by Prospect Stables]
Date 1907-1908
Year Range from 1907
Year Range to 1908
Description Palmer Physical Laboratory, also called Palmer Hall, under construction c. 1907-1908. The Seventy-Nine Hall dormitory is in the background to the left, and the Prospect carriage house is in the background on the right.

Prospect was originally a model farm. It was purchased by John Potter in 1824. His son Thomas F. Potter demolished the Georgian farmhouse and replaced it with an Italianate villa designed by John Notman in 1851. In 1878, it was presented to Princeton University for use as a residence for the president. The flower garden was designed by Ellen Axson Wilson while her husband Woodrow Wilson was President of the University from 1902-1910. Since 1968, the house has served as the Faculty Club.
Place Princeton, NJ
Print size 8" x 10"
Subjects Buildings
Universities & colleges
Stables
Carriage houses
Laboratories
Science
Physics
Halls
Trees
Construction
Construction workers
Construction equipment
People
Men
Sawhorses
Lumber
Dormitories
Horses
Carts & wagons
Wagons
Wheelbarrows
Houses
Homes
Residences
University presidents
Clubhouses
Faculty
People Palmer, Stephen S.
Notman, John
Potter, John
Potter, Thomas F.
Wilson, Ellen Axson
Wilson, Woodrow
Search Terms Princeton University
Palmer Physical Laboratory
Prospect House
Seventy-Nine Hall
Notes In pen and pencil on back of photo:
M.1 Prospect
2667
stables of Prospect P. Univ
see also #2686
ie Palmer Hall const