Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Collection Photo Archives
Object ID A_9_k_001
Object Name Print, Photographic
Title [Joseph Henry House, Princeton University campus]
Studio Rose Studio
Description The Joseph Henry House, on the Princeton University campus.

The house was built in 1837-8 and designed by its owner, the physicist Joseph Henry. It was moved three times before being set in its present location. After the office of dean of the College was created in 1909, the house became the Dean's official residence.

Henry is best known for his discovery of the electromagnetic phenomenon of self-inductance. He lived in the house until the late 1840s, when he became the first secretary and director of the new Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C.
Place Princeton, NJ
Print size 5" x 7"
Subjects Buildings
Houses
Residences
Homes
Universities & colleges
House moving
Fences
Trees
Streets
People Henry, Joseph
Search Terms Joseph Henry House
Princeton University
Notes In pencil on back of photo:
5 x 7
3512 (Rose)
Joseph Henry House on PU campus


In red pen on back of photo:
Joseph Henry House
Provenance Part of the Rose Studio Collection.