Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Collection Photo Archives
Object ID E_5_031
Object Name Print, Photographic
Title [The Barracks, Griggstown]
Description The Barracks in Griggstown, also known as the "Long House" and the "Towpath House." Built c. 1800 on the west bank of the Millstone River at the Griggstown causeway bridge, the building originally housed mill hands for Van Doren's grist mill. When the canal was built in 1834, the Barracks were enlarged to house mule drivers as well. On the building wall, there is an advertisement for the Barnum & Bailey Circus.
Place Griggstown, NJ
Print size 8" x 10"
Subjects Canals
Rivers
Bridges
Buildings
Barracks
Advertisements
Circuses & shows
Residences
Millers
Mule drivers
Search Terms Griggstown
Delaware & Raritan Canal
Notes In pencil on back of photo:
E-5 Griggstown
Barracks: Build c. 1800 on the west bank at the Griggstown causeway bridge, it originally housed mill hands for Van Doren's grist mill. When the canal was built in 1834 the Barracks were enlarged to house mule drivers as well as mill hands.